sábado, 11 de febrero de 2012

Today is World Happy Day

Now this is a day worth celebrating. What I love about this day is that it is meant to be all inclusive. It is for people who are young, people who are old, people who are alone but strive to not be lonely, people whose birthday is today, people who are remembering the passing away of a loved one. Do you see the picture? It is a great day for changing those glasses!
For a few years I have been obsessed on studying happiness. One fine day, I made a decision. Enough of all the doom and gloom in my life. I realized that there are people out there, that seem to get through every circumstance in their life without the pain and suffering that can drown other people for years, including me. The operative word here is “seem”. Can this be true, I thought? Are these super “dooper” (granny word, sorry younger ones) human beings? If they are, I want to be one too.
Luckily for me, I found that there are a lot of people studying happiness now and there is excellent scientific evidence coming from these studies. The great news is that we CAN all be happier. It takes a little more work for some of us, but how lucky we are that science is showing us that we don’t have to settle into our unhappiness.
In The Happy Movie , http://www.worldhappyday.com which aired world wide to celebrate World Happy Day, one professor makes a statement I just loved! “Psychologists have spent so much time trying to measure depression, why can't we measure happiness?” Psychologists and neuroscientists are doing it, great people made a film about it . And it is a cross cultural film, which makes sense since as I said, World Happy Day includes everyone. Screenings are being arranged all over the world. It has happened in some places already, but I encourage everyone to go see it. At least see the trailer on their web page. If it hasn’t been screened in your university or community, try to arrange a screening. The happy people involved in this are very helpful. Just go to their web page.

1 comentario:

  1. Seems I can't link directly to the happy video. I think you need to cut and paste. If anyone knows how to make direct links let me know, please. Still working all this out.

    ResponderEliminar