sábado, 3 de marzo de 2012

Face the Fear

Some of us are people pleasers. I have devised a way to help turn this characteristic into a motivational strength. When I am faced with something I need to do, but fear paralyzes me, I make it into a challenge by writing down what I need to do and when I am going to accomplish it. Then, the motivational trick is to share it with someone I trust will encourage me to go for it. It's important to choose that person carefully. It doesn’t have to be your best friend, your significant other, or your mother, although it could be. I have found it most effective when it is someone who shares the problem of paralyzing fear with you simply because they will understand how difficult is has been to make this commitment. Choose someone you don’t want to let down and don't take it lightly. In other words you want to see that they are pleased that you did this. Don't expect any reward from them at all. The reward comes from having done it, faced the fear and shared it with someone, who upon having seen you do it, will have the force to do it themselves. It is a win-win situation which promotes happy habits. Eventually , with practice the fear will subside.

2 comentarios:

  1. Sorry should read "choose" and not "chose" but I can't manage to change it. Still learning

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Nice post on fear management. You are right as we face our fears they tend to fade away. We know fears are illusions but that does not mean they are not powerful or "real". Yet, the mind can change its connections and habits and learn new ways to deal with situations. Yout idea is a great technique to achieve this. So, don't be surprise if I contact you as the friend-monitor of my fear overcomming exercise!
    Good luck and lots of love and light!

    ResponderEliminar